Frequently Asked Questions 2016-17
During this grade 2 year we focus on helping students to continue on their journey toward developing strong base skills in literacy, numeracy, and independent work habits.
Throughout the year students will experience a variety of learning opportunities in the curriculum and develop a mastery foundation in the above skills. As a school we use the Friends program to support students in making good choices in life. This occurs once a week and all information is located on our counselors web site.
Some typical challenges in this year are the different range of abilities, the rate of student development in literacy and numeracy. Students may require extra assistance at home and at school to support their progress. In addition, students are developing socially and emotionally at different rates so students may encounter other challenges aside from academic learning which we will work through as necessary. The school Child Development Advisor may be involved to support students as well.
Our goal is to build a community of learners where:
- we support and encourage each other
- we maintain a positive learning environment
- every learner has roles and responsibilities
- we put forth our best effort consistently
School Work Load:
The curriculum guides and expectations for students are located on our grade tab on our website. However, you can expect that your child will need to practice reading 15 to 20 minutes at home 3 to 4 times a week and write a reading response once a week. Practicing basic math facts to 18 for quick recall throughout the year is essential. From time to time other projects related to curriculum may come home throughout the year.
The primary mode of communication for the school as a whole is our Newsletters, Website and Email. This communication is for informational items on school activities, initiatives, and items needing your response. In our grade level you can expect a daily agenda message, occasional paper notices and weekly updates on classroom activities on teacher websites.
Items Unique to Our Grade Level:
- We have lunch in our classrooms
- We participate in Daily 5 in various ways
- Students may require extra time or support to complete assignments and may choose to complete their work during recess
- Technology in our classroom includes ipads, smartboards, laptops, and the Learning Commons
- We appreciate volunteers to promote reading development and become involved in the Calgary Reads Program
- Students often reach their “take off” point in reading during their grade 2 year
- Typically by the end of Grade 2 most students are reading at grade level
- We focus on developing self-assessment skills where students reflect on their learning goals and set goals for growth and improvement
- Typically, each of our two field trips cost around $20 (including transportation)
- We participate in swimming lessons at an approximate cost of $50.